Coupon use remains high overall, with 90% of consumers reporting they use them.
There are no significant differences in coupon use among millennials, generation X, or
boomers (though, perhaps surprisingly, 94% of millennials say they use coupons—the only
audience segment showing growth year over year). *
The percentage of consumers using discounts from paperless sources has increased. Yet
coupons from printed sources still account for the majority share of use. This demonstrates
that shoppers value savings whether via printed or digital formats. 91% of parents say that
they decide which store to shop based on where they can use paper coupons.*
1. Scarborough Multi-Market, 2016 Release 2 (includes coupons for all product categories, not just CPG)
2. IRI Times & Trends Report, “Taking Stock of CPG Past and Future: Gear Up Now for a Year of Growth,” Jan.
3. xAd and Millward Brown, “2016 Mobile Path to Purchase: The Global Retail Shopper,” Sept. 2016
4. Kantar Retail ShopperScape®, Feb. 2016
5. Based on Response Rate Analytics from Valassis Client Results Database, Oct. 2015